Tuesday, March 10, 2009

da prez

Wednesday, November 05, 2008
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA It's 143 years since the end of slavery. It's 40 years past the death of Martin Luther King Jr., and 44 years since the Civil Rights Act passed. While I'm pleased Obama was elected, a part of me is very sad that this far along in our "civilized" society, race still plays a relevant part in such an important process. I voted for Obama and I'm confident he is the right choice for our next president; however, I would've voted for Obama regardless of the color of his skin.
Our country is so advanced in so many areas of progress so I ask why why why is it that so many of our citizens put so much stock in the race you are born into by no choice of your own. Race is a circumstance of birth. It is not a determinate of character, intelligence, passion, compassion or any other integral quality necessary to lead.
I"m glad, thrilled, optimistic, hopeful, and relieved that this particular door (race) to the Whitehouse has been not just knocked down, but blown off the hinges. I'd like to believe that Obama would've been elected, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian-Pacific, Indian, or other. I'm eager for the day when that box is no longer a necessary part of any application

No comments:

Post a Comment